How to practice “If Clauses” via enjoyable activities

Three simple activities to do at the end of the lesson:

If Clause I:

Show your students a picture of a man who is drinking in a bar. Ask them to write a story in groups. They are supposed to use “if clause” in their stories. Set a time limit. Provide them with prompts: If he drinks, he will get drunk; If he gets drunk, he will be late; If he is late, his wife will be angry;…..The group with the longest story wins.

If Clause II:

Ask students to think of supernatural powers: invisibility, flying, seeing through the walls, etc. Tell them to defend one power with several reasons in groups. Give them prompts: If I could fly, I would go….If I went there, I would….The group finding the best reason for their supernatural power wins.

If Clause III:

Tell your student a true story you could find on the Internet. Ask them to come up with different endings by using if clauses: If she had not gone there, they would not have seen her. She wouldnot have been killed if she had stayed at home. etc. This can be individual or group work.

6 thoughts on “How to practice “If Clauses” via enjoyable activities

1. i am a communicative English teacher and your website is very much useful for my carer.Please continue to support me in the days to come. Thanks a lot.

2. I am a communicative English teacher and your website is very much useful for my job.Please continue to support me in the days to come. Thanks a lot.